I was asked by a friend to make a first Christmas ornament for her friend's tree. She said she wanted a picture of Lucy on it so I went ahead and designed and made it while she got the picture and I did get rather a surprise when Lucy turned out to be a dog. I used it anyway and she was delighted. I've had a few requests since, sometimes for a baby but often for a dog or cat. Why shouldn't they be the star of the tree?
The pattern is here if you want to make one.
Christmas star tree decoration
Fabric 6 inches (15cm) x 12 inches(30cm)
- Fabric must be thin and not fray easily.
- I ironed thin fusible vilene onto the back of white polyester satin
Small amount of toy filling
Circular glass tile approx 1 inch(2.5cm)
Small picture printed on ordinary typing paper
Bead or button about the same size as glass tile
3D adhesive eg. diamond glaze
Bead bell cap(optional)
- Seal picture with a thin layer of decoupage glue
- When the decoupage glue is dry use diamond glaze or a similar adhesive to stick the tile onto the picture
- When it is completely dry cut out picture round tile with a sharp craft knife
- Fold fabric in half right sides together
- Use the star template (download one here) to draw a star on the back of the fabric
- Machine fabric pieces together along all star edges
- Trim round the star about 1/8 inch(3mm) outside the machined line(further away if fabric is likely to fray)
- Using the glass tile as a template draw a circle in the centre of the star
- Cut out circle staying inside the line and cutting through one layer of material only
- Using the cut out as an entrance turn the star the right way out
- Push out the points of the star using something fairly blunt as you do not want it to go through the fabric. I use an embossing tool which has a nice rounded end. If one point does get damaged you can cover it with the bell cap when you add the hanging loop.
- Fill the star with toy filling
- Tack lace along one long edge and pull up tacking to form a rosette.
- Sew lace rosette to hole in star making stitches right through back of star
- Sew or stick bead or button on back of star to cover these stitches
- Leave to dry
- Add hanging loop. I like to used a bell cap here as I always seem to have one point that doesn't quite match the others.
- Sew or stick glass tile to centre of lace rosette
- Leave to dry